Spicy Pork Sliders with Cranberry Mango Chutney
Sliders have become a common thread here on Clairedobo. Because, well, they are delicious, little vehicles of sandwich love! These sliders were born out of an absurd amount of leftover chutney from Christmas. Christmas chutney…indeed. I have provided a chutney recipe from elsewhere on the interwebs, but any store bought version will work just fine. Aim for at least mango. The sliders require something tart & sweet to round out the flavor.
As per usual there are a lot of different spices in the pork. Use what you can find! These should be available at most grocery stores, but things vary from island to island.
Pork Patties: (makes about 9 patties)
- 1/4 kilo ground pork
- 1 egg white
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced – All of the whites & about 1in of the greens
- 1 head of garlic coarsely chopped – Yup. The whole thing.
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne - Or to taste
- 3 tbsp canola oil - Or other tasteless cooking oil
For the Sliders:
- 10-15 pieces pan de leche
- 1 apple
- 4-5 kalamansi
- 1 red onion
- Sliced cheddar cheese (optional – but such a delicious option)
Cranberry & Mango Chutney - taken from a recipe from Chef Annacia at Yummly (you can use this recipe OR use any store bought chutney)
1. Prepare chutney ahead of time and let chill in fridge or cool to room temperature. If using store bought remove from fridge and bring to room temperature.
2. Add all pork patty ingredients to bowl and mix thoroughly
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Make sure oil fully covers the bottom of the pan, if necessary add more oil.
4. Shape pork mixture into small patties 1.5-2in in diameter. Carefully place patties into hot oil and let cook for about 4-5 min on each side. Turn when slightly browned. Add oil as necessary. Remember, pork must cook all the way through.
5. While the patties are cooking, thinly slice the red onion & apple. Slice kalamansi in half. Add apple to airtight container and add juice from the kalamansi. Cover with lid and shake to cover all apples with kalamansi juice. This will improve the flavor and prevent the apples from browning.
6. When the patties are done cooking remove to plate covered in paper towels.
7. Slice or rip the pan de leche in half.
8. On each sandwich place in this order:
- cheddar cheese (if using)
- 1 patty
- 1 slice onion (the entire half moon)
- 1 slice apple
- dolop of chutney
Serve these sliders open face with the remaining piece of bread on the side. They are quite dramatic when plated and you wouldn’t want to ruin the beauty by covering it up immediately! If eating with friends, prepare enough for each person to have 3-4 sliders. Of course, after tasting this dish they may want a few more! Enjoy!