Peace Corps French Toast
I use the term “french toast” loosely here because, let’s be honest, there isn’t a lot of cinnamon, powdered sugar or maple syrup to be had here in my little corner of the Philippines. However, when you have a lazy morning, and the craving hits, you make due! For clarification, perhaps we will just call this delicious, eggy bread topped with fresh sliced bananas and a side of mango jam.
I rarely make, buy or order sweet breakfast foods. I’ve just always been on the savory side of the table when it comes to morning eats. But occasionally I just need something a little different. Today it was the perfect collision of bread, eggs and milk in one fried up little toast-let!
Ingredients: (makes 2 servings…multiply as necessary)
- 6 slices of loaf bread – I just used basic Julie’s, but anything will work!
- 1 egg
- 1/4c milk – powdered or fresh (fat is flavor…and if your market is like mine, you wont have any other options!)
- 2tbsp butter or oil – butter will add a much nicer flavor to the end result, but oil will do the trick too
- 2 medium bananas
- 2tbsp mango jam
- Optional: cinnamon or nutmeg
4. Let the slices brown 2-4 minutes on each side. Slice the banana while you wait.
5. When finished, remove toast to a plate and top with the banana. Serve mango jam on the side.
When I do indulge myself in french toast or pancakes I’m a dipper not a drizzler. So if you so desire you can always spread that jam on your toast-lets! Enjoy!